Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Challenge #1

Hello devoted blog readers (all four of you...!!!!)

Here is a picture of my brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and my niece. Such a gorgeous family, aren't they?



One of the basic principles in photography is composition. I'll spare you a big explanation, but basically there are "rules" of composition that photographers are supposed to follow in order to make a "technically correct" photo. (All of which I'm still learning...)

Okay, so here's my challenge for you. When I took this picture of Liz and Jesse and Natalie, I didn't notice I was breaking one of the major rules of composition, which I tried to mostly "fix" later in photo editing.

Here was the original before I fixed it:



Can you tell what I tried to fix? **Post a comment with your guess (click on the word 'comment' at the end of this post, it should walk you through it). Anyone who guesses correctly will get 10 points.... They're absolutely useless points, but points nonetheless!!!!!

(****Addendum-- Give yourself 10 EXTRA points if you try to figure it out BEFORE you read the other comments people have posted....)

I will probably continue to post challenges for fun-- I'll make them harder after this one, but this one will be a warm-up. :)

PS-- I'm not sure why the photos are kinda blurry-- I will try to figure out what I'm getting wrong in my posting settings to fix it.

4 comments:

JMGardow August 12, 2008 at 11:26 PM  

background focus was dulled?

they are both great and I want you to take our family pictures this fall..... up for a new challenge?

Anonymous August 13, 2008 at 6:36 AM  

Is it the stick behind Jesse's head?

Anonymous August 13, 2008 at 2:18 PM  

don't make them harder since i'm not smart enough to figure them out at this level!!!! :-) i only figured it out after mom's guess... i'm LOVING the tropical theme here, by the way!

Anonymous August 15, 2008 at 10:39 AM  

Its the stick thing between their heads...and I figured that out before reading Aunties comment!! Beautiful work Kristen!

Kristen Olson's Photo Blog

  © Blogger template 'The Pattern' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP